Wednesday, 8 May 2013

Final Evaluation

Overall I thought the play was a success. The energy was fantastic, I watched the audience physically jump when we all came in with the first song. The first scene was particularly good, so we managed to captivate their attention from the start. The projection of the whole cast was good, and I've had feedback saying that all could be heard. Unfortunately Tian's voice started to go towards the end of the performance, as he has a sore throat. The comedic scenes were a hit with the audience and there was laughter throughout. Another particularly good performance was the Wedding scene I feel. The energy was sustained and fantastic.It felt like everyone finally knew and understood their characters.

However the play was still too long, even longer than the dress, so we were at danger of losing the audience, especially towards the end when there was a lot of line mixing-up. Some of the pauses were too long and some of the exchanges between characters could have been snappier.

Personally, I really enjoyed the performance, and it was bizarre to finally have an audience. When I first entered, I didn't even say anything at all and there was laughter, which struck me for a moment, but I made sure not to lose focus. The timing seemed well, and I think the change in objectives made the scene finally click into place. I had a lot of fun with the role, but for Brighton I will make sure I don't toe the line between playing up to the comedy and overacting. I feel the audience responded positively to myself, Sarah and Gavin, and we had a real energy that we shared between us. A little bit more spatial awareness of each other may have improved the aesthetics of the staging but otherwise I feel my performance was a success. One more thing I lost a little was the support and I felt myself beginning to use my throat at points, however I stopped myself as soon as I realised, and I think my voice carried in the theatre. At first I was unsure on how changing the character of Trinculo to a prostitute would work, but it fitted well with Caliban being a priest and sex-deprived, and the given circumstances of the three characters created the comedy for the audience, who, seeing the show for the first time and not knowing our rehearsals, seeing  it afresh made it enjoyable and humorous in a way we could not have foreseen.

I feel the themes of drugs and colonization were presented well, and the message was passed clearly (I heard more than a few giggles from theatre students at the 'Were I European' line!). It was very different from last nights and I'm sure tomorrow nights show, it was much darker and I feel presented the more serious sides to the performance (although we still got a good few laughs!).


No comments:

Post a Comment