Monday, 15 April 2013

Language of Theatre 15/04/13


My Relationships!

Trincula.

Trincula - Stephana: Partners in crime, been in the whore business a while, have a lot of fun, sing a lot of songs together. Are very happy when we see each other alive again. Boundaries are tested when Stephana takes the upper hand and starts to boss me around, not sure how I feel about being second, when I saw Caliban first.

Trincula - Caliban: Mistrustful of him, I don't know what to think. I'm not very kind to him, I like taking the piss out of him and because he's a priest it's funny to use my sexuality around him. Slightly annoyed that he worships Stephana and not me.

Trincula - Prospero: Before I meet him, I am unafraid, I don't really care about him, just winding Caliban up. After meeting him I am afraid of his power, aware I am helpless and weak in comparison to him.

Trincula - Sebastian: Sebastian is a regular customer, I know what he likes, I know many private things about him, which does give me some leverage, he is my superior, but I have some power sexually. This is how I know it is okay to seek his protection when I feel threatened at the end of the play.

Trincula - Ariel: I am afraid of Ariel when he ties me up, and I am under his influence when he makes me say things by drugging me. I stand below Ariel in power. He frightens me, but I am bewitched by him, his drugs and his music. 

Trincula - The Lost: When the Lost run on and attack us, I am afraid and there is hostility between us. 

Trincula - The rest of the boat's people: I am below all of the people on the boat in status, although many of the men are customers, which means I get private information and have a lot of sexual power. This does give me some stability and room for comfort.


Timeline Stuff
  • Henry VIII had he church become more separate from the state, the new worlds (The Americas) were discovered and the printing press was invented.
  • After Henry VIII the country had four monarchs in the space of eleven years. Edward VI, Lady Jane Grey,  'Bloody Mary' and Elizabeth I.
  • The Tempest was written around the time when boats kept splitting, they could be likened to modern day space crafts. 
  • In Bermuda a ship called The Sea Venture sank and that may have sparked inspiration for the writing of The Tempest.
Naming
  • Caliban - Cannibal - Caribbean. 
  • Gonzalo - Represents utopian society

No comments:

Post a Comment