Today we concentrated on being adaptable.
I learnt that my character was completely different to my thoughts on the first reading.
For this version of The Tempest, and with our characters being prostitutes, we learnt that it would make sense if Stephana and Trincula were taking the mick out of Caliban the whole time, and pretending to be clueless. In a way this makes them quite clever characters, as they are scheming whores rather than foolish butlers. However the drugs and the alcohol clouds their choices and makes them rather idiotic. The scene felt completely different, and the words formed whole new meanings which I will now have to revise. The sexuality is a challenge, but this also works juxtaposed with the priest interpretation of Caliban, and these given circumstances should create comedy for us, allowing us to commit to real performances, rather than playing to the comedy. Challenging relationships as a trio is also interesting, as there is a power battle all the time. This has been eye-opening, and I hope to make more genuine discoveries like this.
No comments:
Post a Comment